Return to Health Recommendations
This plan was developed using recommendations from the Sacramento County Office of Education, Sacramento County Public Health, California School Nurses Organization, California Department of Public Health, California Department of Education and the Centers for Disease Control to meet the unique needs of our school community.
California Department of Public Health Schools Guidance FAQs issued on August 3, 2020 states:
“Under the operative executive orders (PDF) and 2020-21 Budget Act, schools must comply with orders and guidance issued by the California Department of Public Health (CDPH) and relevant local public health departments. Schools may comply with guidance from other federal, state, local, and non-governmental sources, to the extent those guidelines are consistent with state and local public health directives.”
The Return to Health Plan serves as the SCUSD COVID-19 Safety Plan (CSP) for in-person instruction and meets the California Division of Occupational Safety and Health (Cal/OSHA) COVID- 19 Prevention Program (CPP) and the COVID-19 School Guidance Checklist requirements. Recent evidence cited by the CDC suggests when K-12 schools consistently implement layers of mitigation strategies they are able to safely open for in-person services, supports, and instruction. The SCUSD Return to Health plan provides our operational strategy to support K-12 schools in opening for in-person services, supports, and instruction, and remaining open through an integrated package of mitigation measures.
Multiple Layers Improve Success: The Swiss Cheese Respiratory Pandemic Defense recognizes that no single intervention is perfect at preventing the spread of the coronavirus. Each intervention (layer) has holes, but multiple layers improve success.
SCUSD will remain flexible in responding to changing public health conditions and will continue to revise our Return to Health plans in accordance with the most current orders or guidance provided by the CDPH. Resources:
- Operational Strategy for K-12 Schools through Phased Mitigation. Center for Disease Control (CDC) 2-12-21
- Reopening In-Person Instruction Framework & Public Health Guidance for K-12 Schools in California, 2020-2021 School Year, California Department of Public Health (CDPH) 1-14-2021
- 2020-21 School Year Planning Guide, Sacramento County Office of Education. June 2, 2020
- COVID-19 Health Services Recovery Plan, California School Nurse Organization
- COVID-19 Industry Guidance: Schools and School-based Programs, California Department of Public Health
- Considerations for Schools, Centers for Disease Control (CDC) Resources
- CDE Opening Schools Guidance, California Department of Education (CDE)
- Cal/OSHA COVID-19 General Checklist for Schools and School-Based Programs. July 17, 2020
- Sacramento Health Alerts and Advisory