Basic Isolation and Quarantine Guidance for Families, Students and Staff
Get the most up-to-date protocols by clicking here.
Frequently Asked Questions about Isolation and Quarantine Guidance
If you test positive for COVID-19 or are exposed to someone who has COVID-19, stay home and notify your school office.
Tested Positive for COVID?
If you tested positive for COVID-19 you must stay home and isolate for at least 5 days from the date tested positive. You may end isolation and return to school if symptoms resolve AND an antigen/rapid test collected after Day 5 is negative. With a negative test and symptoms resolved, the earliest you can return is Day 6. When masking requirements are lifted, consistent use of a well-fitted face mask while indoors at school is strongly recommended through Day 10. If you test positive on Day 5 or you do not test, you may return on Day 11. Do not take another test after the test on Day 5. In fact, do not test again for 90 days unless you have symptoms.
Were You Identified as a Close Contact or Were Exposed to Someone Who Has COVID?
Students and staff regardless of vaccination status may continue to attend school/work as long as they do not develop symptoms of illness. Exposed individuals are recommended to test for COVID-19 3-5 days after the exposure.
When masking requirements are lifted, consistent use of a well-fitted face mask while indoors at school is strongly recommended through Day 10 after the last day of exposure.
Students and staff with symptoms of illness must stay home and test for COVID-19 (regardless of vaccination status).
- If the test is negative, they may return, if at least 24 hours have passed since fever and symptoms have improved significantly.
- If the test is positive, stay at home for 5 days. Isolation can end after Day 5 if symptoms are not present or have improved significantly, and a diagnostic specimen collected on Day 5 or later tests negative. Consistent use of a well-fitted face mask while indoors at school is strongly recommended through Day 10. If unable to test or choosing not to test, and symptoms are not present or have improved significantly, isolation can end after Day 10.
- All SCUSD staff, students and household members may access free COVID-19 testing at Serna Center from 10:00-4:00pm or at Albert Einstein Middle School from 4:00-7:00pm or at 2401 Florin Road 10:00-6:00. To minimize exposure on our school campuses, School Site Care Room Testing and Surveillance Testing is for students and staff only. Other community members may access free testing at testing sites found here.
- You can find guidance about taking care of yourself and others while isolating here.
- Wearing a good fitting mask is strongly recommended whenever you are around others outside your household and when at school or work, ensuring that your nose and mouth are covered.
Are you an SCUSD student, staff or family member that has tested positive or been exposed to someone testing positive, and have questions about isolation or quarantine? We now have a COVID-19 Helpline to help answer your questions.
Trained Contact Tracing Nurses are available Monday -Friday (when school is in session).
Call or Text: (916) 559-0951